7 Days to Die Linux server Tips

I hear that peeps use Windows to host. I use both Windows and Linux. I found that linux was way easier to script.
I recommend using Linux if you can, you can easily find VPS hosting to setup a server.

Linux 7DtD Tip 1:
How to restart the server automatically on Crash or how to use it like a regular server for e.g. nginx so you can
stop , start and auto start on crash.

I use a free tool called Immortal All you have to do is install it by downloading the binary for your platform

for e.g. on Debian/Ubuntu you do
sudo dpkg -i immortalxxxx.deb

Once installed you will create a <somename>.yml file with details of the server executable file. Here is an example from my server.

cmd: ./7DaysToDieServer.x86 -configfile=config.xml -logfile /tmp/7dtd.log -quit -batchmode -nographics -dedicated
cwd: /home/vangel/steamcmd/7dtd #where you installed the server.
user: vangel #optional but good to have, this is the non-root shell user that you normally run the server as
wait: 2

Now with the file in a directory just do
sudo immortaldir .
Notice the . or current directory it’s where the yml file is. Whatever you name the file, it is how Immortal will list the server name as for reference. I use 7dtd.yml for e.g. so you can see the output more clearly. Keep reading for that part.

that’s it! now you server is just like any other linux service with bonus that, on crash server will be autostarted.

You can confirm the server status. stop, kill or start with command like below.

sudo immortalctl status

sample output

PID Up Down Name CMD
8641 42m14.5s 7dtd ./7DaysToDieServer.x86 -configfile=config.xml -logfile /tmp/7dtd.log -quit -batchmode -nographics -dedicated

sudo immortalctl stop 7dtd

sudo immortalctl halt 7dtd

sudo immortalctl start 7dtd

You can use immortalctl for pretty much any server. To ensure server is started when you reboot the system please test and check the documentation on the Immortal site. I have been using it for various game servers without problems. I don’t have a similar tool for windows so you might notice when KF2 goes down, it stays down unless someone informs me or I do my daily check.
8641 35m54.9s 7dtd ./7DaysToDieServer.x86 -configfile=config.xml -logfile /tmp/7dtd.log -quit -batchmode -nographics -dedicated
sudo immortalctl stop 7dtd

sudo immortalctl halt 7dtd

sudo immortalctl start 7dtd

You can use immortalctl for pretty much any server. To ensure server is started when you reboot the system please test and check the documentation on the Immortal site. I have been using it for various game servers without problems. I don’t have a similar tool for windows so you might notice when KF2 goes down, it stays down unless someone informs me or I do my daily check.